check filesYour memo should be between 500 and 700 words. You are writing this memo to inform a
superior, and you must be succinct if you expect the reader to get to the end make good use
of the information. You are essentially doing the homework for your superior so that he or
she can make policy or weigh in on the policy debate. Chances are good that your superior
already knows something about this issue, so that enables you to be brief.
In this case, you will be a staff member for any member of Congress you choose, and you
are writing this memo because your boss will need to vote on a piece of legislation next
week. (The legislation and vote are fictional, but please make them sound real.) don’t try to
be creative. Get right to the point. Succinctly state why you are writing this memo. Indicate
that there is a vote on the topic and that it is in his/her interest to vote yes/no. Use
subheadings to break up the sections.
Be sure to include these parts of the memo.
1. Memo heading (includes to, from, date, and re:)
2. 1-2 sentence intro that clearly previews the problem and your recommended solution.
3. The problem (the problem/situation that requires a decision)
4. Options for action (Include all options for action, even those you do not recommend so
that your superior is knowledgeable about the landscape.)
5. Political landscape (Include information about the position of the various stakeholders.
He/she needs to know how his constituents feel. He also needs to know where the
congressional leaders stand and also the rank and file of his party.)
6. Your recommendation about what to do (how to vote). (Include information about why this
recommendation is the right option for your superior. This isn’t about what you think. It’s
about the best interest of your superior.)
7. The conclusion recaps your recommendation. This is the final word with which you will
leave your superior.
Under other circumstances, you might have a section outlining how the solution could be
rolled out. In this case, you are advising your boss (member of Congress) how to vote, so
there is no need to include this.Writing Planning Worksheet
(Each response should be a few words to about one sentence. This is to help you plan your writing, so don’t worry about writing great sentences.)
· What is the public policy topic you have chosen from this week’s readings and lectures? Choose a topic that presents a problem in this policy area.
bilateral trade between China and U.S.
· What is the problem?
Trade deficit between China and U.S.
for 2020 was $310.8 billion—9% less than 2019’s $345.2 billion deficit. The trade deficit exists because U.S. exports to China were only $124 billion, while imports from China were $435.5 billion.
· What is the impact of the problem, and who does it affect?
China can manufacture goods at competitive prices and sell it with lower prices, U.S. companies that can’t compete with cheaper Chinese goods and must find ways to cut costs to stay competitive.
As a result, manufacturing jobs in the United States have declined by about 30% since 1998.
Both countries economy are affected.
· What solution could you recommend? The solution can be an original idea, or you may use a previously-proposed solution, as long as you credit the author.
The one policy tool that would do both is a cap-and-trade system that would entail the U.S. government issuing rights to import certain dollar amounts of Chinese goods and then allowing those rights to be traded (Hout, 2021).
· Who is your audience? (Is this an educated audience? It makes a difference in how you write.)
U.S. policy makers
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.